At the heart of NAMI’s mission is our grassroots and the sharing of information with people with mental illness, their families, friends, mental health professionals, and the general public. NAMI strives to offer hope, reform and health to our American community through support, education , and advocacy efforts. Research is constantly providing us with new information about the brain and the nature of mental illnesses and, consequently, more effective treatments. Autism Spectrum Disorders, Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder, Bipolar Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder, Dissociative Disorders, Dual Diagnosis and Integrated Treatment of Mental Illness and Substance Abuse Disorder, Eating Disorders, Major Depression, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), Panic Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Schizoaffective Disorder, Schizophrenia, Seasonal Affective Disorder, and Tourette’s Syndrome are some of the persistent mental illnesses that affect the brain.
Goals of NAMI Fresno
- To provide group support for families.
- To share experiences and knowledge about mental illness and the mental health care system.
- To advocate for better treatment and services for the mentally ill.
- To influence and support legislative efforts that address the needs of the mentally ill and their families.
- To erase stigma and prejudice.
- To support an increase in funding for research for care and treatment of the mentally ill.